Troy Public Library
Lost or Damaged Items Policy
Library patrons are responsible for returning all checked-out materials. In the event that an item is lost or damaged, the patron has two options:
1. The replacement cost for the item (based upon the original cost as indicated in the item record) and a $3 processing fee will be charged to the patron’s account.
- If the patron pays the replacement cost and processing fee for a lost item and finds it within 3 months of paying for a replacement, they may be entitled to a partial refund (replacement fee less accrued overdue fines up to a maximum overdue fee of $15). Processing fees are non-refundable.
2. The patron may replace the item and pay a $10 processing fee for it to be added to the collection. The following criteria for replacement items must be met:
- The replacement must be new.
- The replacement must be purchased from a major retailer, i.e. Amazon.com (not from an Amazon secondary seller), Barnes and Noble, Books-a-Million, etc.
- A copy of the receipt/proof of purchase from retailer must be provided.
- The replacement must have the identical ISBN and publication date as the lost/damaged item.
- The replacement must be in the same format as lost/damaged item.
- If a replacement item is provided by the patron, the patron forfeits the right to any refund if the original library item is later found.