Talk Time: English as a Second Language Conversational Group-
If English is your second language, come to Talk Time to practice your speaking and listening skills and improve your English vocabulary in a casual, relaxed atmosphere. This is a weekly event. No registration required, drop in friendly.
OUCARES: Job Skills for People with AutismDecember 12, 2018 -
Come learn about a job skills program for people with autism! Presenters from the Oakland University Center for Autism Outreach Service (OUCARES) will provide information on the variety of programs available to families impacted by autism.
Cutting the Cord: Alternatives to Cable TVDecember 15, 2018 -
Have you been considering canceling your cable television package but aren't sure how to access your favorite content without it? Roughly 19% of American households live without cable TV. This program will provide an overview of some of the most popular and user-friendly cable alternatives.
Unique Street Names: The Man (and Woman!) on the StreetDecember 17, 2018 -
Behind each of these street names is a man or woman who played an important part in Detroit’s past. Explore Detroit’s history through its street signs, and hear the stories of the people whose legacies are traveled by thousands every day.
Latest News from Adult Information Services
Finalists in the Fiction category are:
- A Lucky Man by Jamel Brinkley
- Florida by Lauren Groff
- Where the Dead Sit Talking by Brandon Hobson
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- The Friend by Sigrid Nunez
Finalists in the Nonfiction category are:
- The Indian World of George Washington by Colin C. Calloway
- American Eden: David Hosack, Botany, and Medicine in the Garden of the Early Republic by Victoria Johnson
- Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth by Sarah Smarsh
- The New Negro: The Life of Alain Locke by Jeffrey C. Stewart
- We the Corporations: How American Businesses Won Their Civil Rights by Adam Winkler
Winners will be announced on Wednesday, November 14 in New York.
Click here for a complete list of nominees in all categories.
The Man Booker Prize winner will be announced on October 16 in London. Visit the Adult Information Services Department or check the library catalog for award-nominated titles.
Hours of Operation
Mon 10 am–9 pm
Tue 10 am–9 pm
Wed 10 am–9 pm
Thu 10 am–9 pm
Sat 10 am–5 pm
Sun 1–5 pm