In preparation for reopening, the library staff is working with City of Troy staff to create plans and policies to ensure the safety of the employees and the public. This is our highest priority.
Current plans include a phased reopening, based first and foremost on any directive from the Governor’s office and/or the Oakland County Health Department. Staffing also plays a role as all staff are required to remain socially distant. This limits how many people we can have at one time in any given work area of the Library.
At some future date, we will reopen the Library to the public, but it is impossible to attach a date to that as yet. Much depends on direction from the Governor and the Oakland County Health Department, including building capacity and number of people allowed to gather in one spot. We are in the process of updating the Library’s physical space to accommodate social distancing for staff workstations and for patrons, as well as intensive safety protocols.
Phase 1: Acceptance of Returns | Launch: June 3
In Phase 1, we are accepting returns of library materials. There are currently 40,000 items checked out of TPL.
As of Tuesday, June 9, Troy Public Library’s walk-up drop boxes will be open Saturdays at 10 am through Mondays at 9 pm. This schedule is in effect until further notice.
We are implementing this reduced schedule so we can quarantine returned items for 72 hours, per CDC guidelines, before checking them in and making them available to you.
To Safely Return Your Library Items:
- Please use the material return boxes located at the main entrance.
- Please follow the physical distancing guidelines at the front entrance when returning your items. This helps to ensure your safety and the safety of other patrons.
- The drive-up material return boxes will remain closed until further notice.
- Due to the 72-hour quarantine time and high volume of returns, please wait a minimum of 10 days before contacting the Library about your returned items.
The Troy Public Library and the Friends of the Troy Public Library are not accepting donations at this time.
Phase 2: Curbside Holds Pickup | Launch: June 17 (All Patrons) - WE ARE HERE
Phase 2: Curbside Pickup Open for All Patrons
We now welcome patrons who have received a hold notification to schedule a curbside pickup appointment. Hours for pick up are Monday-Thursday, 10 am–7 pm. The curbside pickup location is in the northwest Library parking lot, adjacent to the drive-up material return boxes. There are directional signs to guide you.
We ask that you please do not come to pick up items if you have not made an appointment. If you have received a notice that you have a hold available, you can schedule a curbside pick-up appointment. Each appointment is 15 minutes, and you may come any time in that 15-minute window
Patrons who are physically unable to come to the Library are invited to fill out this outreach form. A librarian will get back to you to get more information and set up a date and time for deliveries.
To Place Items on Hold:
- Log into your account on the Library's catalog using your Library card number and PIN.
- Find an item you want.
- Check “number of items available" to make sure we have at least one copy checked in. Items placed on hold together may not be ready for pick-up at the same time.
- Click "Place a Hold” and confirm your hold request.
- If you have trouble logging in, please call: 248-524-3538 ext.1 or email: Circ@troymi.gov.
- There is currently a limit of 10 holds per card.
To Schedule a Curbside Holds Pick-up Appointment:
- Please do not schedule a curbside pickup appointment until you have received notification that your item(s) is available.
- When you receive the notification that your item(s) are available for pick-up, schedule a pick-up time in the calendar HERE or call 248-524-3538 ext. 2.
- Find an available time slot on the Library’s event calendar.
- Curbside pick-up appointments are scheduled every 15 minutes. You are welcome to come any time in your 15-minute window.
- Fill out the registration form.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
How the Pick-up Works When You Arrive at the Library:
- Park in one of the designated spaces in the Northwest parking lot, adjacent to the drive up material return boxes. *Please do not park in one of the designated spaces prior to your appointment time.
- Call the library at 248-524-3536 and leave a voicemail with your last name and your parking spot number
- Stay in your car.
- Library staff will check out your available items and bring them to your car.
- Library staff will hand you the materials through your car window.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are unable to make your scheduled pick-up time, please call: 248-524-3542 ext. 1 or email: Techroom@troymi.gov.
What Cannot Be Done at Curbside Pick-Up:
- Donation of materials.
- Return of items.
- All returns must be placed in material return boxes located at the main entrance (10 am Saturday–9 pm Monday)
- Last-minute requests. Materials not placed on hold cannot be requested at pick-up.
Thank you for your support and patience during this time!
Phase 3: Limited Opening
In Phase 3, limited access, we will have to limit the number of people who are in the building at any one time. Patrons will be able to enter the building to pick up material but in a “grab and go” sense. Study areas, public computers and children’s play areas will not be open.
Phase 4: Business as Usual
In Phase 4, normal operations will resume.