In preparation for reopening, the library staff is working with City of Troy staff to create plans and policies to ensure the safety of the employees and the public. This is our highest priority.
Current plans include a phased reopening, based first and foremost on any directive from the Governor’s office and/or the Oakland County Health Department. Staffing also plays a role as all staff are required to remain socially distant. This limits how many people we can have at one time in any given work area of the Library.
At some future date, we will reopen the Library to the public, but it is impossible to attach a date to that as yet. Much depends on direction from the Governor and the Oakland County Health Department, including building capacity and number of people allowed to gather in one spot. We are in the process of updating the Library’s physical space to accommodate social distancing for staff workstations and for patrons, as well as intensive safety protocols.
Phase 1: Acceptance of Returns | Launch: June 3
Return Hours & Information
- We are accepting material returns every Monday–Thursday, 10 am–7 pm & Saturday 10 am–5 pm.
How-To Safely Return Your Library Items
- Please use the material return boxes located at the main entrance.
- Please follow the physical distancing guidelines at the front entrance when returning your items. This helps to ensure your safety and the safety of other patrons.
- The drive-up material return boxes will remain closed until further notice.
- Due to the quarantine time and high volume of returns, please wait a minimum of 10 days before contacting the Library about your returned items.
- The Troy Public Library and the Friends of the Troy Public Library are not accepting donations at this time.
- Do not return material to other libraries.
Curbside Returns for Limited Mobility Patrons
- Between 9–10 am on Thursday mornings, patrons who are unable to safely walk up to our main return slot may park in the handicapped parking spaces in the library’s main parking lot; a staff member will walk out to the patron’s car, retrieve the returns, and walk them up to the drop box.
- Patrons who use this service are asked to remain in their car while library staff picks up their items. It is requested that the items are bagged before returning, so staff can safely transport them to the main entrance.
- We hope this new service will ensure that all of our residents are able to safely use the library! If you are a patron with limited mobility and cannot be at the library during the weekly drop-off hour, please call our Outreach Services Librarian at 248.680.7297 or fill out this outreach form to arrange material pickup.
Returning Digital Materials
If you are finished with your digital materials before your lending period is up, please digitally return so that other readers (or listeners) can use that item sooner. Learn how here.
Phase 2: Curbside Holds Pickup | Launch: June 17 - WE ARE HERE
PLEASE NOTE: Starting Monday, September 28, we will be using new software to schedule curbside pickup appointments.
We welcome patrons who have received a hold notification to schedule a curbside pickup appointment. Hours for pick up are Monday–Thursday, 10 am–7 pm & Saturday 10 am–5 pm. The curbside pickup location is in the northwest Library parking lot, adjacent to the drive-up material return boxes. There are directional signs to guide you.
We ask that you please do not come to pick up items if you have not made an appointment. If you have received a notice that you have a hold available, you can schedule a curbside pick-up appointment. Each appointment is 15 minutes, and you may come any time in that 15-minute window.
To Place Items on Hold
- Log into your account on the Library's catalog using your Library card number and PIN.
- Find an item you want.
- Check “number of items available" to make sure we have at least one copy checked in. Items placed on hold together may not be ready for pick-up at the same time.
- Click "Place a Hold” and confirm your hold request.
- If you have trouble logging in, please call: 248.524.3538 ext.1 or email: Circ@troymi.gov.
- There is currently a limit of 15 holds per card.
To Schedule a Curbside Holds Pick-up Appointment
As soon as you get a notice saying that your hold is ready, click here to schedule your pickup. It’s quick, easy, and streamlined!
A few things to keep in mind:
- You will need your library barcode and PIN handy. If you’ve forgotten your PIN and need to reset it, please click here.
- To make an appointment, you must have an item with a “Held” status on your TPL account.
- To pick up materials for family members, please put their library barcode numbers in the “Notes to Library Staff” field.
- Please make sure your scheduled appointment falls before your hold’s expiration date. You can check your hold’s expiration date by logging in to your TPL account.
- If you have questions or need help making your appointment, please give us a call at 248.524.3534.
What Cannot Be Done at Curbside Pick-Up
- Donation of materials.
- Return of items. All returns must be placed in material return boxes located at the main entrance.
- Last-minute requests. Materials not placed on hold cannot be requested at pick-up.
Phase 3: Limited Opening
In Phase 3, limited access, we will have to limit the number of people who are in the building at any one time. Patrons will be able to enter the building to pick up material but in a “grab and go” sense. Study areas, public computers and children’s play areas will not be open.
Phase 4: Business as Usual
In Phase 4, normal operations will resume.